The History of St Stephen’s, Ealing
The Church of St Stephen’s Ealing has existed since 1867 when a new Church was planted in the parish of Christ Church Ealing Broadway (now known as Christ the Saviour). Over the years the church building was extended and in 1891 a spire, nearly fifty metres tall, was added which today still dominates the North Ealing skyline.
The 'OLD' Church - now converted into flats
Sadly, the church building suffered from subsidence and by 1979 the building had to be closed and Sunday services held elsewhere. In 1985, the decision was made to sell the church building to a developer for conversion into apartments and build a new church centre on the site of the old Church Hall. This was completed and dedicated in 1987.
The new building was designed to meet contemporary church needs and contains a flexible worship space, a large hall and other rooms and offices. The worship area is comfortable, fully carpeted and has chairs rather than pews. The adjoining hall is well used as a community resource with many different groups and activities meeting throughout the week.